Saturday, February 7, 2009

Slow Cooker Millet Porridge

My firstborn is allergic to oats, yet she loves oatmeal for breakfast. So I am embarking on a quest for the perfect oatmeal substitute. Today's grain of choice was millet.

1 cup millet
2 cups soy milk
(I assume regular milk works the same)
4 cups water
3 Tbsp Molasses
1/2 cup raisins
Vanilla
Salt

Put in slow cooker, on high, with lid slightly open. Watch and stop when it thickens, 3-4 hours. I am not sure yet but I believe one could cook this overnight (8 hours, on low) as well.

Critique:
Flavor of the grain is excellent. We sweetened it with some agave nectar after cooking. I think I'd add some cinnamon and apples during cooking next time, too. Husband commented on 'yummy aftertaste' at first but wasn't much of a fan after a bowlful.
Texture is much more nutty than oatmeal. I think that's what turned Nadia off it. Oh well. Move on to the next grain.

1 comment:

  1. You used rather a lot of molasses? Was that supposed to be 3 tablespoons? Perhaps that's what affected the taste.

    ReplyDelete